Friday, April 22, 2011

Serpent Mound

 As I pulled up information about Serpent Mound to show my son not to long ago, I was very surprised to learn a lot myself. Some of what I learned in school has been shown to be false and I also discovered that the mound is inside an impact crater which I do not remember being taught.

For those of you who do not know Serpent Mound is located in Adams County Ohio. The mound is 1,300 feet long and approximately 3 feet high. No one is 100% sure which culture built the mound but most believe that it was built by either the Adena or the Fort Ancient Indians. Although Iroquois Indian legend suggests that it was built by a culture known as the Allegheny.

Serpent mound was not a burial mound it is what is known as an effigy mound. Many believe that it had a religious purpose while many feel that it had more of an astrological purpose. The mound is located on a plateau of a 5 mile crater known as the Serpent Mound crater. It is believed that although the indians probably did not realize that they were in a crater that the unusual rock formations certainly would have caught there attention and possibly been taken as a sign or sacred place.

 Until recently we were not sure if the crater was created by a meteor hitting the earth or possibly a very large ancient volcano. But now it seems to be agreed that the crater was created by a meteor hitting the earth at some point in time. If you Google Serpent mound or Serpent crater you can find a ton of information and even a few myths. I found one site which told of crop circles across the street. My next project is to learn how to make crop circles in my own backyard. Once I figure out how, I will write an instructional How-To for anyone who needs crop circles in there yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment