Saturday, February 23, 2013

Fans hurt at Daytona.

 Today in the Nascar Nationwide series race at Daytona International speedway fans were injured after a last lap crash. You can see more details of the accident in CNN's article. Nascar and Indy car have done a fantastic job in recent years of making the cars safer for the drivers. Everything from head and neck restraints to safer barriers and a lot of other things. I congratulate them on there advances, but I believe it's past the time for more effort to be put into spectator safety.

I have personally been sitting in the second row of turn one with an Indy car flying through the air towards me and I can tell you that it is a little scary. Besides tethers to hold the wheels and hoods in place, there hasn't really been any advancements in the safety of fans in recent years. I hope that Nascar and Indy car will look at this as a wake up call to find ways of keeping the fans just as safe as the drivers are in a crash.

No comments:

Post a Comment